Taxes (not you Derek)

Kick back, Relax, Chat about anything
iced98lx
Site Admin

Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:55 pm

Since Derek has 6 more months before we hear about his...

Had to pay in this year, damn employer changed the amount of withholding despite not changing my W4. WTF. Oh well, not a lot (sub $1000 so no biggie) but still annoying.

BunnyBoy

Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:00 pm

I got paid back this year only because my wife was in school and went down to less then part time. It was really nice but after next year I'm sure ill have to pay in. My wife and I might both have to claim 0 on w4s

iced98lx
Site Admin

Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:52 pm

this tax bracket is killing me. Had so much less income than last year due to wife not working for so long after kid and still couldn't drop a bracket. I thought kid deductions were supposed to be awesome.

dvandentop

Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:36 pm

You would be proud I pretty much have mine all filled out and ready to file. Now if I do it by Monday or not is another question will probably decide Sunday night.

dvandentop

Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:37 pm

iced98lx wrote:this tax bracket is killing me. Had so much less income than last year due to wife not working for so long after kid and still couldn't drop a bracket. I thought kid deductions were supposed to be awesome.
Yeah I did too wth. Did u deduct all medical expenses etc.. can you deduct daycare or not yet? I know it was talked about being possibility

Shifty

Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:00 am

dvandentop wrote:
iced98lx wrote:this tax bracket is killing me. Had so much less income than last year due to wife not working for so long after kid and still couldn't drop a bracket. I thought kid deductions were supposed to be awesome.
Yeah I did too wth. Did u deduct all medical expenses etc.. can you deduct daycare or not yet? I know it was talked about being possibility
You've always been able to claim daycare expenses. Not sure that it helps much but might be because most employers let you set aside up to 5k pre-tax for dependent care expenses. So I utilize that every year.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Shifty

Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:05 am

We got just shy of 3k back this year but it was no where near a normal year for us. I paid too much in on a bonus, which also moved us up a bracket, and wife was tutoring for a while which forced me to itemize things. Normally I'm lucky enough to take standard deductions.

Most of it was spent on tuition for this semester anyways and the rest in savings for when I find the next house.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

iced98lx
Site Admin

Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:10 am

dvandentop wrote:You would be proud I pretty much have mine all filled out and ready to file. Now if I do it by Monday or not is another question will probably decide Sunday night.
I am proud. You have till Tuesday to file due to Monday holiday.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

iced98lx
Site Admin

Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:11 am

dvandentop wrote:
Yea our tax guy said we had good deductions and yea turned in day care costs and a folder of receipts. Not sure if we itemized this year or not, always up to tax guy.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

• Information